Monday, December 29, 2008

backup career idea #1: J.Peterman catalog copy writer

Heavy Denim Workshirt
"My dad is digging post holes for our little-league backstop on a hot summer day. His sleeves are rolled up…sweat is running down his neck, soaking the collar of his blue work shirt.

My earliest memory of the thing; I must have been about 10.

The shirt keeps reappearing in my mental snapshots from the next several years (the two of us pruning fruit trees together, cheering for Duke Snider at Ebbets Field, etc.), until, I guess, it just became such anexpected part of the way things were that it no longer made a distinct impression on me.

Then I was in college, and it was gone.

I tried, eventually, to find its equal. Frustrating. Shirts of more
recent vintage were flimsy, or new and raw looking, or poorly detailed.

This is the way it’s supposed to be.

Thick, old-fashioned 8-oz. cotton denim, almost bulletproof. Mellow, faded look (stonewashed; years of prewearing would be impractical). Exacting 2-3/4” point collar. Extralarge, buttoning chest pockets. Adjustable two-button cuffs, yoked back, rounded shirttail.

I wear mine around the farm, sometimes (with tie) to meetings with lawyers and bankers; seems to put everyone in an agreeable mood.

Heavyweight Denim Shirt (No. 1118).

Men’s sizes: S, M, L, XL, XXL.

Color: Original Faded Blue, Dark Indigo."

No comments: